Pages

Sunday, 16 October 2011

A Challenge Too Far?

Last weekend I turned 42. The number itself doesn't bother me, ( no, not even the year the needle tipped from 39 to 40), but there is something about birthdays that makes me want to, to....to? I don't really know what it is exactly. Change? Move on? Ponder the ins and outs, ups and downs, of my life? What ever it is, it usually makes me DO things. Sometimes they can be quite dramatic things, like putting the wheels in motion to leave my abusive first husband. Other times it might be quite subtle like trying my hand at painting watercolours. Sometimes I manage to keep the momentum going and make real changes in my life, other times it just fizzles out.

This year was no exception, I felt the need to DO something. So I did. I signed up for the Get Off Your Broom fitness challenge over at The Domestic Pagan. Not only that I also signed up to take part in this years NaNoWriMo and committed myself to trying to write a novel of at least 50,000 words during the month of November!

Am I mad? You bet!

It seemed like a good idea at the time. After all I have put on a few pounds this summer and getting in shape can only be a good thing, right? And learning a bit of writing discipline by having to write each day might mean I finally get around to finishing the children's book I've been working on for like...forever. My motives are sound. I'm just not sure about the practicality of it all. It now means that for all of next month I've got to stick to my diet and exercise programme, and maintain all my usual commitments, all whilst I'm chained to my lap top churning out a minimum of 1666.66667 (so my calculator tells me) words a day!

If I don't spontaneously combust from all the pressure, I'll keep you informed on how I get on!!!

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Just watch your energy in the beginning, otherwise it won't last. ^^

    ReplyDelete