Pages

Thursday, 20 October 2011

A Timely Reminder

Over at Hearthwitch Cottage there's a great post about being grateful. Avie asks What are you grateful for today? Its a good question. So often we get bogged down with all the problems we face and that clouds our view. Yesterday was a good example. It was a glorious autumn day. The sky was blue; the air was crisp but not cold and I went for a drive with my husband through the beautiful Cornish countryside. Yet I spent the day consumed with panic about an unexpectedly large (extortionate!!!) water bill. What a waste of a lovely day.

Last night when my husband came to bed (a couple of hours after I had), he said 'Thank You'. In my sleepy, only half awake state I wondered what on earth he was going on about. I reluctantly dragged myself towards full consciousness to hear him say how much he appreciates everything I do for him, how grateful he is for my support :-). It was lovely to hear and I went back to sleep with a smile on my face. He thinks he doesn't say things like that often enough, but actually he does. He sings my praises whenever, and wherever, he can; you only have to take a look through the posts on his blog to know that (and yes, that is a shameless plug). I think, maybe, I sometimes take his appreciation for granted.

So the post over at Hearthwitch Cottage was a timely reminder to appreciate all the little, lovely things that make life special and I think I'm going to adopt the idea (thanks Avie) of keeping a Gratitude Diary.

So what am I grateful for today?

For my husband, loving and gentle and utterly insane (that's a good thing by the way).
For my children and my step-children and the grandchildren they have given us. And all the joy, stress, fun and frustration they bring.
For having a roof over our heads because for a while there, we didn't.
For the experiences I've had, the good, the great, the bad, and the very bad. They have made me what I am today.
For the wind in my hair and the sound of the sea.

And I am grateful that in my kitchen cupboard there are ingredients to bake cakes...if I wanted to. Which I don't. I got off my broom, remember?

3 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful things for which to be grateful and I echo those sentiments as well! I am also grateful for warm food on days like this when the heat just doesn't feel like enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful for living and having one kind person in my life. :) Beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete